Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Perfecting Almond Crescents.

Once again I have tried to make my grandmothers famed Almond Crescent Shortbread.
Using the same base recipe as last time although doubling it, but.... I didn't have all the ingredients that I needed, this time I lacked almond meal necessary, the recipe calls for 70 grams of Almond Meal, but then I have to double it, and I only had a 100g packet, so I thought I might put a teaspoon of Hazelnut meal in to make up for it.

Also, the mixture wouldn't stick together so I added another egg white and some butter... This did make the mixture more sticky but unfortunately it didn't fix the crumbliness of the cookie dough, so they were nearly impossible to shape into crescents, this was a major problem because I had doubled the mixture, meaning that I had made a ball of dough nearly as big as my head!

So after about 2 hours of carefully shaping cookie after cookie, I had finally cooked them to perfection (Golden) and they were ready to taste.
The cookies had a fairly bland taste, (this is because of the lack of Almond Meal) and they were far too crumbly, so crumbly in-fact that I could have had a competition to see if anyone could eat one without dropping a crumb.


I made a wonderful discovery while making these cookies:
We have a old oven it has a light, a dial for temperature and a very very unreliable timer.
So I would never have guessed that it would have anything as modern as "Fan Forced"
but as it turns out it not only has this but you can't tun it off! So I now have something to blame
every burned cookie I have ever made on.... The little sign on the side of the oven that says "Fan Forced" in decorative font (a Fan Forced oven is an oven that has a fan which moves the hot air around to stop the the oven form being hotter at the back than at the front, it also means that whenever you use fan forced you should turn your oven down approx. 20 degrees eg. 180 degrees (160 fan forced)).

No comments:

Post a Comment